EXTRA! MOLESKINE STOPS A BULLET!

Hkn

"I was walking down the street in New York City when I heard a light "thwap"
followed by a sense of pressure on my chest. I reached for the area
instinctively and felt only the Moleskine. notebook in the inside pocket of my
jacket. It wasn’t until I looked inside the jacket at my shirt that I found the
small mangled piece of lead along with the shredded paper from my notebook. A
rogue bullet had gone through my jacket and into my Moleskine. Evidently, the
two outer covers and the tightly packed pages of the notebook were enough to
slow the bullet down. The ink from my journal entries may have played a small
role as well. For whatever reason, the bullet had stopped right between the
notebook and my shirt – leaving me without a scratch….

It’s a Holeskine now."

Kristian Andersen
Manhattinhand

© All rights reserved. Used with permission.

————

Update 8.03.06 7.30.PM CST:

We just received the following email from Mr. Andersen:

"I already posted on my blog that the holeskine was just
fiction. Sorry to get you all worked up for nothing. I guess I thought it
was very obvious that no notebook will stop a bullet…"

Nbk48_2
Cross-posted at
Notebookism.com, our new partner site.

This entry was posted in My Moleskine. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to EXTRA! MOLESKINE STOPS A BULLET!

1. JP says:

amazing!

2. Mark says:

Glad you are OK. Shame about the Moleskine. At least you will always have a converstation starter. I was shot through the shoulder once, in an accident, and kept the (very bloody) t-shirt for a while.

Look at it this way – what are the odds of being shot once in your lifetime? Pretty slim. Now, what are the odds of it happening again?

Mark

3. Kristian says:

All, this was just a peice of fiction about a Moleskine. Looking at the comments, about half of you realize that. Now hopefully that is clear to everyone…

4. tom says:

Fake. A bullet travels faster than the speed of sound and he would have felt it before he heard it.

5. JP says:

Doesn’t have to be fake. Bullets eventually stop moving if they don’t hit anything you know. If the gun was fired far enough away then the bullet wouldn’t be traveling that fast… ever seen Tora Tora Tora?

6. Katherine says:

It probably isn’t fake.

When you get shot, you don’t feel it immediately. Your body is in shock. It takes ime to react. Your nerve impulese not only travel slowly to begin with, but unexpected nerve impulses take even longer to register. The ‘thwap’ he heard was the bullet striking his chest, and the sensation of the impact followed, when the ‘shock’ of the impact wore off.

7. Armand says:

Mr. Andersen (see “Kristian” above) has already posted a retraction of this story. IT IS NOT TRUE.

8. Wow, that’s some tale! Glad you are okay. But I thought guns were illegal in NYC. ;-)

9. Just thought about this again. I bet Noodler’s ink would help even more. ;-)

10. Craig Jenkins says:

He said it was a fake.

Not all bullets traval faster than sound – getting them to go subsonic makes them fire a lot quieter.

11. Jack says:

The story is a complete fake.

12. Wayne M. Sarf says:

Why would anyone assume that a notebook couldn’t stop a bullet? History is full of people being spared death or serious injury (or more serious injury) by handy household objects which slowed a bullet. (Bruce Catton notes someplace I think that many a sermon was inspired by the pocket New Testaments that stopped a bullet for some Civil War soldier.)

So the story was more plausible than the storyteller thought.

But would it have been as believable had the bullet been stopped by a cheap pocket notebook purchased at Staples? No way…