Josh Gate’s notebook

Brady MacDonald wrote:

"I was on the SciFi channel’s page checking out their show called
"Destination Truth".  The show’s host went over his travel gear and he
listed Moleskine’s as a must have for using to journal with on his
adventures…"

699902

If it’s good enough for Hemingway, it’s good enough for me. Moleskin
journals have housed ideas, thoughts, and dreams for hundreds of years.
I take one brand-new Moleskin journal on every single trip I take. It
can be hard to keep up, but the experience of looking back on your own
words is more valuable than any photo. I use a prosaic but utterly
satisfying Parker click pen that costs about $5 from Staples. I tried
fancy pen after fancy pen with mixed results, but something about the
smooth ink delivery and overly resistant click-top of the Parker just
makes me want to write up a storm. Eat your heart out, Ernest.

LINK

This entry was posted in My Moleskine. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Josh Gate’s notebook

1. karmazon says:

He spelled ‘Moleskine’ wrong.

2. Sophie Brown says:

Sometimes people seem to do that as if, maybe they have a way of spelling it in other places, or maybe they say it that way and feel comfortable spelling it phonetically.

I will also say that if you knew how we are SUPPOSED to pronounce it you would refuse to do it also. I’ve only ever heard “moleskeene”. But I guess it’s “moleskeena”. According to who, I don’t know. Maybe Europeans.

I may be the only one in the free world who is getting sick of the mythology in the inserts. Declaring it as fact makes us look stupid. These notebooks are 10 years old. Hemingway and Van Gogh and Santa Claus have not been using them for hundreds of years. It’s fun advertising. I guess truth in advertising isn’t as big an issue in Italy. You don’t need to buy more so as not to run out like Bruce Chatwin did. They are perfectly designed, and it’s kind of fun to believe, but if you become a celebrity of some sort, you need to look at that more carefully before you sound a little bit slow.

3. sysop says:

Well, after reading this article I purchased a Parker Jotter stainless steel black ink ball point pen. I must say, I really like it as a companion to my Moleskine. It’s the epitome of classic ball point pens and it seems well constructed. I’ve been using a Uni-Ball 207 with gel ink for about a year now and I still love it too, but the new Parker Jotter just seems to fit better aesthetically and I missed the old ball point oil based inks. Smooth writing. Only thing is I bought the Uni-Ball 207 for the water and fade resistant ink. Not sure if the Parker ink is the same or not? [URL Reference: http://www.parkerpen.com/en/discovery/product/jotter ]

4. sysop says:

This is a follow-up comment to my earlier comment about Parker Jotter ball point pens. I contacted the company that manufactures Parker pens and they stated:

“Parker and Waterman inks are not pigmented inks. They will fade, can be
    check laundered, and are not archival. Uni-ball sell pens that have
    pigmented inks. Their pigmented inks are water resistant, fade
    resistant and archival quality.”

Oh, well. I still like the look and feel.

5. Sophie Brown says:

I have eventually come around just to using gel pens. I had a Lamy but I never really got comfortable and might try it again. But I’ve recently heard a COUPLE of people saying they had gone home again to ballpoints–they were out of favor for awhile but I know some people who have really missed them. One thing I have told friends who seem to like the ballpoints is that they should see what they think about Fisher Space Pens. Now they have refills that fit in with I believe Parker pens. A friend of mine just loves his and he’s kind of a ballpoint guy as well.

6. nestor says:

Hermoso………..

7. Amber D says:

The “Mythology” inserts are cute. That’s about it. I like the journals because of the uniform color, the back pocket and the elastic band closure. That’s about it. *shrug* if I could find a journal that was decent and cheaper and had all of those features, I’d gravitate towards them. However, all the other Moleskine-like journals are a crappy quality. *shrug*

8. Sophie Brown says:

They may be cute but most people believe them.