Open Session : The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion

Dsc_3701x

Welcome to OPEN SESSION:  The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion.

Moleskinerie invites you, our visitors to share your thoughts on a special topic.

Today it is: "To write or not to write" The universal dilemma. Some say there are memories better left in our hearts and minds rather than be committed to paper.

Your say?

Image: ABF All rights reserved

Wic_2
Visit Windows into Creativity,
a project that celebrates how our notebooks can become a platform for your imagination and creativity.
 This unique project extends Moleskine’s main brand pillars – identity,
imagination, movement, memory and unique experiences to select art
supply stores across North America.

You can also print our own postcard. Simply download the .pdf file below:

Download WIC_artsupply_Postcard_toprint.pdf

Join the group in Facebook

*Have you sent in your postcard yet?

This entry was posted in OPEN SESSION: Open Thread Discussion. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Open Session : The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion

1. Sophie Brown says:

For me, it seems, the question is not whether or not to write, I will. The Question is how much time to spend fully LIVING and how much time to spend WRITING. A balance is required. So You can try to LIVE, and THEN write about it, it’s good to mix it up more than I tend to. So go out and DO something, and then come home and write about it. That’s the formula I’m assigning myself this new Year.

2. c.a. Marks says:

Yes, write. I asked for three extra large softback moleskins for Christmas. For two of them I am writing a “Your Book” – one for each of my dearest girl friends. All throughout the year I will write down in the moleskin whenever I think of them and what memory triggered it. If I hear a song that reminds me of one of them; I’ll jot down some of the lyrics and tell them WHY it made me think of them. If we attend any gatherings, lunches, or other social events together, I will write about the experience in their “Your Book”

It will be a year long writing session, and I’ll give it to them on Christmas Day of 2009.

3. @ Sophie Brown: I fully agree with your take on this, but perhaps we can add that when one does get out we allow for serendipitous encounters and serendipitous ideas. That’s when the creative flow happens for me and I don’t wait to get home to write; I stop right where I am and write in my moleskine and its a fantastic feeling.

4. Sophie Brown says:

Like so many things, all of the above are true. Take your notebooks with you. I mean only that I don’t get out and do much that I’m pssionate about and spend too much time contemplating my existential angst and have other fruitless endeavors, you know what I mean. I like that, go out and take your notebooks along. An even better plan. But just GO OUT. I mean, writers can be solitary quiet types by nature, just make sure you aren’t staring at the walls and figuring out the meaning of it all to the exclusion of other things. Time to live and try not to worry about it would be another way of saying it.

5. D_anon says:

I write it all down, no matter how ugly the thought, trying not to think much about who might read it. And…gasp…I don’t keep my M’skines forever. I’m a novelist and make notes and draft scenes for the book in the same M’skine as I use for life observation, GTD, and other flotsam and jetsam. When I’m done writing a book, I toss all the M’skines that hold notes about that book.

Is it sacrilege to throw a Moleskine away? Maybe. But for me, it’s an exercise in focusing on the process of writing more than the product of writing. And it cuts down on clutter. If I kept every notebook I’d ever scribbled in, I’d need several large storage sheds by now.

6. I think it’s better to write – even if it’s for your eyes only. Something in the transfer of thought to written word clarifies and completes the thought process, it’s therapeutic and enlightening.

c.a.Marks – I like your idea of keeping a ‘Your Book’, would love to do that for my children.

7. Clark says:

Write, for writing, for me, validates my life. All the Good, the Bad and the Ugly that life presents to me I record to remind myself that I am alive. Writing gives me a window view at where my life has been and where my life is going. When I write stories, the are really glimpses into the life that I have lived and enjoy.

Pen On!

8. Sophie Brown says:

Clark: If I don’t write my brain seems to rust and shut down and I feel like a ghost.

9. amber says:

If I don’t write, I go insane.

Writing for me is a form of therapy. If I don’t get it out of me, it’ll fester and putrefy. so I write.

10. Sophie Brown says:

I go crazy as well. But with me it’s not so much letting it out. I can’t think if I can’t write something down (most of the time. The other thing I do is rearrange reality (the details) kind of a control freak thing.