PoSkine?

3256029262_0a4b30b7df

Last month "Tymcode" joyously reported "Polaroid's PoGo printer: Prints onto Moleskine!"

Today, Moleskinerie pal Juan Kerr posted his work/s.

View the original image

The PoSkine thread at Moleskinerie/FLICKR

Related: Official PolaPremium Site

Any more early adapters?

This entry was posted in Product Updates. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to PoSkine?

1. yes says:

I’m curious about these, but haven’t gotten one.

I don’t mind doing the one-hour cheap local prints at stores, but the PoGo stickable and small size would be handy for a Moleskine. Is the appeal of the PoGo the size and sticky backs? There are so many photo printers on the market (including standard deskjets), that I’m curious if people really like carrying the PoGo around with them. On an extended vacation, I could see the use of a PoGo, especially if it would be hard to carry around a large printer and hard to find local photo prints if there’s a language barrier. Is that what most of you use them for? Seems cool, but it seems like the cost adds up compared to standard prints? ($100 for the printer, then around 40 cents per print, isn’t it?) It’s awesome that you don’t have to go out and buy ink for the PoGo, or cut down the photo to size or glue it in. Is this the appeal?

Ok, now I almost want one, but have to wonder if it really would be a value for me or if I should stick with 10 cent prints locally.

Maybe once the price of the PoGo and the paper go down, I’d jump on board. Any thoughts? I’ve read the image quality is decent, but not spectacular– is this your take? How is the image expected to hold out over time? I know the traditional Polaroid instant-prints have held up, but what about these “Zink” inkless paper prints?

Is there a list of compatible cameras? I went to the PoGo official website, and it links to different camera brand websites, which provided essentially no useful information for me.

2. Sama says:

Well I use my pogo mostly to combine my writing with images, for eg: I was out on a photoshoot late at night and it was so much magic I had to write about in my diary, to go with that entry I printed some of the pictures with the pogo.

As long as your camera supports PictBridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PictBridge) it will work with the PogoPrinter.

No the quality isn’t spectacular, but it’s still pretty good, I found myself just the other day go “oh wow” when my picture was printed.

3. Sophie Brown says:

I always wonder where people get these date stamps. I don’t really need one but I want one anyway.

4. Juan says:

In answer to the first comment, I don’t think I’d ever take mine out with me. Mainly because the battery life is lousy. I just love it for so many reasons; the size of the prints (I love small photos). They’re sticky (no messy glue sticks) and perfect for your Moleskine. No need to replace ink, as you pointed out. I don’t see the PoGo as a portable printer – which must have been one of Polaroids main selling points – I just see it as a really cool and handy piece of kit.

5. Derek says:

They also appear to have a flat out PoGo camera which I think sounds amazing. I don’t really like taking pictures that much because I like having a physical print as soon as I do it. I still use my old Polaroid Impulse. But maybe this’d be worthwhile. After all, I’ll be out of film soon.

6. yes says:

The PoGo Camera makes more sense to me, but sadly it’s only 5 megapixels and didn’t get the best reviews in terms of photo quality. Those are like the old Polaroids– with friends? Take a photo, give it to them then and there. But now you can still keep the digital copy of it.

It’s larger than many cameras, but it can print itself– no having to connect to a separate printer, or carry a camera and printer around. It’s pretty expensive ($300ish in the store I looked online, but is expected to be largely released in March at a lower rate). If it would double in megapixels to at least 10 MP, at a reasonable price, I’d jump in.. until then, doubt it. I actually want to get an old school Poloroid for fun.. but then I’d have more non-digital photos around to scan.

Sama, I guess the PoGo lets you print images when inspired. Good point, I can understand that. :) But wouldn’t a deskjet or other printer work as well? I guess the price isn’t that bad, compared to larger models, so this is one less large item to hang onto. (?)

Juan, that’s weird about the battery life, especially since it’s hailed as a tag-along item. I guess I’m old school and see it as weird to carry a printer around with me. Actually, I had a portable printer a decade ago. Those were made for business people to print documents on the go. It was heavy!

Derek- that’s interesting that you don’t like taking pictures unless you have the print then and there. Does digitally being able to look at the photos you took not do it for you? With old film cameras, it used to drive me crazy to have to wait to get the film developed. I guess in this sense, a portable and/or instant printer would be perfect. Do you ever print them on a home printer/deskjet? I’ve tried that, and was always disappointed with the image quality (and paper quality). Maybe that’s why I’m hating on the PoGo. If the PoGo prints felt like real prints with solid image quality, i guess that’d solve that problem.

I guess I don’t understand the appeal of PoGo portable printer vs. other brands, or a deskjet (if you’re not carrying a printer around anywhere), but the inkless and sticky prints kind of helps me understand. I guess it’s the “wow” factor at watching your image instantly appear on the paper that is cool. I just think how many glossy, high resolution prints I could get for 10 cents a piece.. for the price of a portable printer and the paper. $100 plus $7-15 per pack of paper seems like it would add up, compared to 1,000 prints at 10 cents each (in top resolution, no less). But, instant prints seem really cool. I wish I would try one out somewhere, see the magic, and let it win me over. I have a feeling it would be a fun, useful toy.

Do any stores let you test these things?

7. yes says:

One more thing:

I don’t understand PictBridge. (I understand what it does, but it seems largely undocumented as to which camera has it). Is there a list of which cameras are compatible anywhere?

Does the PoGo print to all of them wirelessly, or through the miniUSB plug on PictBridge-compatable cameras? PoGo’s “compability website” is complete crap– links to tons of other camera companies websites, which don’t effectively list which models are compatible and which aren’t (not that I expect Polaroid to do other companie’s homework, but it’s very frustrating). I don’t see why they wouldn’t at least list the top 10-20 most popular camera models that actually work with the PoGo.

8. guy says:

i recently got a PoGo printer and im already filling in all the gaps in my notebook with relevant photos, i love it, the pictures are the perfect size for the pages landscape or portrait and they are sticky backed!

9. Derek says:

I don’t think that out of all the digital pictures I’ve taken since my family got one of the bulky originals (that used floppy disks), I’ve transferred more than a dozen to my computer. I use my phone when I have a use in mind for the picture such as sending to a friend or posting on a web site.

Once I take a picture on a digital camera, I instantly lose sight of the point. I took it, here it is in this little aluminum box. Now what? Polaroids are bulky, beautiful, and instant.

10. Sama says:

Yes: Well a deskjet would do the thing, but the deskjet doesn’t print on stickers (yes I could just glue it to the paper), the deskjet doesn’t print by bluetooth, the deskjet needs new ink every now and then and the deskjet I own sucks :)

Sophie Brown: I would love to have one of those stamps too.

11. Laura says:

I just got a Pogo printer yesterday 2/8 after reading about it online and I too love the results. If people are picky about photo quality this product isn’t for them. I love love love being able to “fill in the gaps.”

As for the PictBridge you can look in your camera’s manual. Most, well many, digital camera have their manuals online too so just go to the website of whatever brand of camera you have. To print from your camera you have to connect the camera to the printer through the miniUSB port (little end in camera regular USB end into the printer) unless your camera has bluetooth which I haven’t heard of in a digital camera.

12. powa says:

Any comparisons between the Poloroid Pogo and the Dell Wasabi?