OPEN SESSION: The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion

431px-Victory-garden

Welcome to OPEN SESSION:  The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion.

Moleskinerie invites you, our visitors to share your thoughts on a special topic.

Today it is: "KEEPING A GARDEN JOURNAL"

Spring has sprung and so has the pages of many garden journals. Recording the progress of growing things is a tradition kept by farmers and gardeners for ages. Do you keep one?

Image: Victory Garden/WIKIPEDIA

Inspiration:

Whathome2

This entry was posted in OPEN SESSION: Open Thread Discussion. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to OPEN SESSION: The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion

1. Sophie Brown says:

They say there are no stupid questions but I don’t believe it…What is a Victory Garden?

2. Armand says:

Hi Sophie,

“Victory gardens, also called war gardens or food gardens for defense, were vegetable, fruit and herb gardens planted at private residences in United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany[1] during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort….”

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_garden

3. Sophie Brown says:

Some of us are never going to understand some of these things, like collecting string, but I remember they had rations of some sort, nobody had sugar, etc.

4. johnny says:

i remember when i worked in a bookstore in college, there was this illustrated (with watercolors) garden journal created by a victorian lady (?) that was reproduced in color and published. it was gorgeous, and i always wished i could garden and paint like that. the text was like some of thoreau’s observational journal writings. i can’t for the life of me remember the name of the author.

5. Helen says:

I started using a ‘large’ cahier with squared paper in spring of 2008 (south hemisphere) to keep track of what/where I planted and when seeds came up etc. I stick the seed packets in it and make little drawings of plant layouts.

6. dianna says:

The Country Diary of a Victorian Lady? That was a popular book awhile back. I keep a garden journal — it’s a combination of notes, sketches, seed packets, pressed leaves & flowers, photographs, smudges of dirt. I really enjoy it, especially in the dead of winter when I take it out and remember summer…