Richard Bryant on Moleskine Notebooks

<ScreenHunter_02 May. 28 14.57

Author Richard Bryant describes himself as "biased, bald and objective"…and he loves Moleskine.

One of the most satisfying aspects of moleskine ownership comes when
you actually fill up your first one (from cover to cover) and have to
go back to the shop and purchase a second one. When that happens, I
believe you evolve into another level of creativity. However, you must
be careful when approaching “two moleksine” people. If you’re in one of
those coffee shops and you see someone with two notebooks, if the
oldest one isn’t full and stained with coffee cup marks on the cover,
and covered with a sticker from a brothel in Uzbekistan, then you’re
probably looking at a poser. Steer clear!

Read his full post

Related: The Moscow Diaries

This entry was posted in My Moleskine. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Richard Bryant on Moleskine Notebooks

1. Gerard Sorme says:

Lots of people use two Moleskines (or more!). I, for example, have one I use as a “notebook” as in a catcher of things assorted (a commonplace book of sorts) and then I have a Moleskine that is strictly a journal of daily thoughts. How pretentious to assume one is doing “serious” work and one is merely “posing” (whatever that means) by how many Moleskines they have on the table at any one time(!) I noticed that the author of the post was written by a Christian pastor. What does your holy book, SIR, say regarding judging people? And for such baseless, silly, shallow reasons?

By the way, I cannot let this pass….after reading the post about “posers,” I go to his website and look at a pretentious and braggadocios “About Me”, his book is self-published (Published by Richard Bryant), the only photo of the cover on Amazon was uploaded by Richard Bryant, not a single comment – his whole site smells of a “poser.” Maybe that’s why he’s big on exalting himself in a coffee shop as a serious man of letters, while demeaning those who use — more than one Moleskine!! Could the superior feelings be a masquerade for insecurity, because he wants to believe others are what – he himself is?

Sorry if this is a little rough. The post, in full from his website, just really $&**#@ me off. Especially concerning the piousness in his posts as a self-described “Christian theologian.”

2. Robert Katz says:

In regards to the previous comment, I’m tempted to write, “Methinks thou doth protest too much”, but I think it more appropriate to just say: “Chill out, man!”

Venting your frustration about a person’s opinion is one thing. But your rabid rant ultimately unravels your perfectly legitimate gripe. I admire your passion and all, but I think your comments prove to be more self-reflective than you might have realized.

By the way, I use three Moleskines and couldn’t give a #@$% is someone thinks I’m a poser. God bless America.

3. Harry Dean says:

I commonly use 2 or 3 moleskines. With respect to the previous post, I think the dude was just complaining about people who are attracted to moleskines simply because of the fairly recent hype surrounding them. I write often in moleskines while in Starbucks and I really don’t care who notices, most people in Starbucks are preoccupied with innane chatter (yuppies) and really it’s all about doing what you enjoy unless you really are trying to get something published which would constitute work. Moleskines can be a tool or a thing for a pleasurable hobby.

4. Sophie Brown says:

I pretty much agree with Robert Katz, but I think the blogger was just trying to make a witty remark, and Lenny Bruce he is not, and then the overreaction in the first post.

One pretty goofy side effect of everyone getting so into their notebooks and the brand is that you can come to think of it as an identity issue. Moleskine has promoted the idea in advertising that if you carry their noteobook you too will be avant-garde and creative and a great writer. Which is all a lot of fun but some people REALLY BELIEVE THIS. The way that others believe Jesus Christ rose from the dead. They can be really overzealous about it. The blogger was just trying to be cute. I wouldn’t worry about it.

It’s fun to be snobby about something. Wine snobs, notebook snobs. But I remember earlier posts HERE where one person POLISHED her Moleskines with some leather polish and a chamois cloth and then another guy would berate someone else for using a ballpoint pen in their Moleskine. They had magical properties. It was really a little bit sick.

5. Captain Reality says:

Posers:

– People who use Moleskines in cafés.

– People who use laptops in cafés.

– People who go to cafés.

– People who read books in public.

– People who know the difference between the words ‘affect’ and ‘effect’.

– People who wear bifocals (I don’t know anyone who can look at two things at once).

– People who wear waistcoats and jackets.

– People who wear perfume.

– People who go in for book learnin’.

– People who clean their yard.

– People who have a yard.

– People who refuse to eat straight out of the tin.

– People who wear shoes.

Remember folks… no matter what you do, there is guaranteed to be somewhere out there who sees you as trying to move too high in the social pecking order, and thus classifies you as a ‘poser’, ‘toff’, ‘snob’, or whatever. The best way to treat them is to openly laugh in their face.

6. Bob says:

At my favorite coffee shop I’m doing a small art show with 13 paintings. At my table I had 1 lg and 2 small sketchbooks, 1 large and small journal and 1 lg and small watercolor book. They all have their purpose and help promote my art.