OPEN SESSION: The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion

Moleskinew-jlz

Welcome to OPEN SESSION:  The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion.

Moleskinerie invites you, our visitors to share your thoughts on a special topic.

Today it is “WHITE MOLESKINE”

For the first time, Moleskine has created a white-covered Moleskine. Your thoughts.

The first entirely white Moleskine notebook — created exclusively for yoox.com, 240 pages, Hardcover, 2010 in English.

Product link

(via Johnny Gamber)

This entry was posted in OPEN SESSION: Open Thread Discussion. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to OPEN SESSION: The Moleskinerie Open Thread Discussion

1. Red Rex says:

The Moleskine brand is becoming ridiculous. I miss the days when Moleskines were simple and didn’t have all of the gimmicks they have now.

2. john Harrigan says:

I like it…

3. Colin Edwards says:

At £19 UK they are surely having a joke? Visit a shoe repair shop and buy a can of white leather dye for a couple of pounds and apply it carefully to your standard moly. Or, simply get a life.

4. melanie says:

What attracted me to the Moleskine in the first place was its simple style – plain black!
    I agree with the above comment – ridiculously gimmicky.

5. Harry Dean says:

I agree with Red Rex. This thing of ours, the moleskine, it used to be exclusive, now its becoming too common, too commercial.

6. Alex says:

I think with the release and popularity of Apple I find that products that come in white appeal more to the target market for Moleskine. It was going to happen I just didn’t know when. But it is limited edition so it wont be around for a while.

7. Harry Dean says:

Think about the ink and coffee stains this moleskine will get.

8. Macus says:

My first thought was “looks like an Apple”. I like it, but I will stick to black, simply because the Moleskine is with me all the time and in white … it would be dirty pretty fast.

9. Lanzman says:

All I can think of is “unclear on the concept”. Moleskine is supposed to be the quintessential little black notebook. If you want to make a white one, don’t call it a Moleskine.

10. Superpooky says:

I agree with most of the other comments. It’s an Apple Moleskine and ridiculously overpriced in much the same way as those other white products. What does your notebook say about you? More money than sense….

11. funny comments on this upcoming product, yes the moleskine changes colors, OMG! but i think it stays the same thing, and they brought the red moleskine before, were there the same offended reactions? i don’t get it, you come on a beautiful website like moleskinerie and complain about the price of the product this website is talking about… you can always find deals on the internet, and moleskines were going to become popular soon enough, this is not the end of the world, it is just a white moleskine! my answer to this new product is that dirty white is not pretty, and i don’t like what looks like an embossed Y on the cover, and if i would be to buy this i would rather have it plain or sketchbook.
    apple moleskine? wow.incredible. fast association!

12. AndrewSpano says:

I agree with some of the other comments. White is going beyond the brand. A white molly reminds of Pat Boone, white patten leather shoes, a white belt, and ridiculous duck tailed hair. Thank goodnes that trend passed by the wayside too.

13. range says:

Although I agree that it’s a bit of a gimmick, I wouldn’t mind having a few different colored Moleskines. The reason is simply. I use quite a few at the same time and unless I start customizing the covers, which I won’t, I have to open the MS up to find out what’s inside. It’s bit annoying. I’m sure that I could come up with a hack to deal with this, but simply having Moleskines of different color would solve this.

I use Moleskines daily to take notes in classes.

14. Brandon says:

The white moleskine is simply the latest step in all the steps that moleskine has gone to far in…they should have stuck with simple black pocket notebooks, just like what they were originally designed from.

15. Harry Dean says:

Agreed. There’s nothing wrong with other colors but moleskines have been distinguished for being small black notebooks, not to be a traditionalists here, but its one of the features that sets it apart from other journals and sketch books.

16. Anthony says:

Moleskine jumps the shark. This is its white flag surrendering to the bland wont of the disposable fickle masses.
    Ugh.
    Bile-producing.
    Butt-ugly.

17. Roman Garcia says:

Hi everyone,

This is Roman from Moleskine, but most people call me RG. This comment is 2 part, one to introduce myself and also to participate in the discussion(s).

Changes to something iconic will always create strong reaction, remember “New Coke”? Part of my job is to take your thoughts and opinions and apply them to our decision process with future product and activities. Without going off on a tangent, the new color notebooks were actually a result of feedback from the community. You asked, we tried to accommodate. Some of us are going to LOVE the new White Notebook, and others will not. That’s OK, that’s why we’re a community. If we all agreed; there probably wouldn’t be any real discussion.

I welcome comments and suggestions. In addition, if you want to share your Moleskine story, please submit them, this site is more about you than anything else.

Thanks,
    RG

18. commenter says:

I like new colors of existing notebook styles, as limited editions.
    Teal/aqua, dark purple, eggplant, and pink would all be options. As some have said on here before, why not make the special editions benefit some charity? (Green for environmental stuff, pink for breast cancer.)

When it comes to the recent year or so of the Moleskine brand, I, too, feel that it is becoming diluted and commercialized. It is too gimmicky with the Passions and similar product varieties that are cookie-cutter, not tools for inspiring creativity.

19. commenter says:

I’ll clarify: Limited edition colors in existing product styles are fine. Special editions for charities or holidays keep some excitement about new products. It is the excessive product style variety that has caused a dilution in the brand (tons of types of calendars, Passion series, etc.).

20. commenter says:

21. Peter Brady says:

Like many have said, the white would only look dirty after a while and so not something I would go for. Something I would like to see is a regular black Moleskine with ruled, squared, and plain paper in equal portions inside. I think those three formats are the ones I most use, and if they were all in the same notebook, I wouldn’t need several different ones. Maybe that idea is as gimmicky as this white one, but no more so than the crazy “Passions” line that’s coming.

22. Roman Garcia says:

Peter,

I like that idea, the 3 formats in one. I’ll pass it on, and not sure if I’d use “gimmicky” to describe it ;-)

RG

23. Amber says:

The problem with New Coke, was that it tasted horrible and didn’t last. Coke also had a bit of a hard time recovering from that poor decision. A white moleskine is all fine and good, but when does a moleskine cease to be the icon we all know and love?

I’d suggest that if you wanted to try out colors, why not the Navy blue that cahiers currently come in? Or a deep royal purple? White? Not so much.

24. Roman Garcia says:

Amber,

You’re right about New Coke, it was pretty awful and the marketing campaign tanked. If it were up to me (which it’s not), I’d make any color available for limited order and time, but if we do that…does a Moleskine notebook cease to be iconic? Probably not, but would people be very opinionated? Probably so :)

I won’t be using the White notebook, I spill coffee on everything and use my current notebook as a a jack of all trades–I’m sure it wouldn’t be fresh & clean for more than 3 hours.

RG

25. commenter says:

I would like non-branded (such as Voox), normal priced, non-gimmicky colors in the pocket edition. There are colored cahiers, but I don’t like cahiers.

“A white moleskine is all fine and good, but when does a moleskine cease to be the icon we all know and love?”

Hopefully not as soon as it seems. I’m here and interested in the brand (obviously), but I’ve only bought one Moleskine notebook this season– compared to my usual 20-30 a season (gifts, notes, art, etc.). I found an alternative that’s cheaper, less gimmicky, and has consistent quality (though overall not as “nice”).

26. Fran says:

I really would like the size of this Moleskine, i have not seen this info before.
    Thanks inadvance.

27. Peter Brady says:

Thanks Roman, I’d really appreciate your help. I emailed Moleskines web site about that idea but never heard from them. Let me know what you find out.

28. Roman Garcia says:

No problem Peter, it’s a good idea. Happy to pass it on to the team.

29. “$29 for an ugly dirty white notebook? Really? No thanks. If it was “normal” priced, I’d consider it. It would be $40 after shipping, for a product from some store I’ve never heard of.”

If you think that is expensive, how about paying around 50$ for it in my country, in a bookstore?!?!

30. John Harrigan says:

It’s absolutely over priced, I think different colours are fine. I like white more than I like some of the other recent choices offered in colour.

I’m a lonnnnngg term moleskine user and I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed but I’m far more bothered about the drop in build quality we’ve seen in the last year or so than the heresy of white moleskine’s. Next we’ll be told the earths not flat.

I understand that Moleskine needs to keep a competitive edge in the market but I don’t think build quality is an area where corners should be cut.

31. commenter@gmail.com says:

optimizacia-

Why on earth would you pay $50 for a notebook? At some point, prices are not worth paying for a… notebook. Yes, it IS a notebook. I would pay $50 when hell freezes over. Not to mention, a notebook whose quality has consistently degraded over the past few years since the production method/location changed…

32. Sol says:

I like the customization possibilities a white Moleskine offers, though I agree the price is ridiculous.

33. Dan M says:

White? Not me. Moleskine’s are balck. Period.

34. anonymous says:

Gah, some of you people sure SUCK.
    A bunch of purists.
    Moleskine does this to accomodate to the likes of everyone.
    What’s so wrong with moleskine becoming a little more popular?
    Get over it, it’s a white notebook, big whoop.
    I personally thought it was a cool idea, of course I had my initial “hmm’s” about it,
    but if one person likes it, I think it’s worth it for Moleskine to have done it.
    The magic of Moleskine shouldn’t be something exclusive, and “gimmicky” things aren’t bad.
    I’m personally always excited to see what new ways Moleskine is trying to grow and extend to different groups of people.
    Can’t wait for Passions!

RG – send Moleskine my props. :)

35. Bob says:

I would have to put a cover on a white MS. So what would be the point of having a white one? Too expensive a luxury……on a budget with a capital B. Fortunately I acquired a stack of black MS a couple of years ago…..still have some blank ones. If you can keep the white one looking good….have fun with that.

36. anonymous2 says:

Gimmicky things are bad, when they can turn off customers and doom the success of a company. Us Moleskine “purists” are who will sustain Moleskine over the long-term, after the popularity wear off. Losing your cash cow to win over a few new customers with gimmicky, themed products (store-themed, color by number lame “Passions” series) is hardly a wise business decision.

37. Håkan says:

“Think about the ink and coffee stains this moleskine will get.”

Yes, it will be beautiful.

Also, what is the problem with a white notebook? I’m attracted to it, even though I’ve grown accustomed with the black moleskines. It’s like discussing whether it should be ruled or not. No point in that.

To me, the “city editions” then seems more like gimmicky variants I could live without. Still, if someone who visits Berlin (or likes to pretend they live there?) likes it and buys it, what do I care? Integrity of a brand? Come on, it’s not 1929. Unfortunately it’s 2009 and all of those things belong to a time long past.

38. Lanzman says:

Well, I can’t speak for anyone else, but I haven’t commented on the other colors of Moleskine because I don’t recall such a straightforward “what do you think of this idea” kind of post on the topic. But I’m not really a fan of the non-black ones anyway. And on the topic of price . . . yeah, Moleskines are overpriced to start with. The price point on this white one is just unrealistic IMHO.

39. anonymous says:

“Integrity of a brand? Come on, it’s not 1929. Unfortunately it’s 2009 and all of those things belong to a time long past.”

No, they don’t. Integrity lives on. Companies with integrity can long outlast those that are gimmicky (think Tickle Me Elmo), overpriced (Starbucks growth/profits faltering), or corrupt (WorldComm). Character and integrity make up a company, and should make up this one.

With a brand like Moleskine that lives off the past (“legendary notebooks of Hemingway”), past history and continued/renewed integrity are vital. The Moleskine brand might be relatively young, but the (overly marketized) “legend” of the little black book is decades-old, filled with mystique, character, and creativity…. not gimmicks or failed integrity.