Create the logo of Moleskinerie!

UPDATE – 10-29-2011

Together with Designboom, a leading online magazine, we have organized a contest of the best logo design. You are great designers and we know it. What would you do with a logo for our blog? Using the Moleskinerie blog as your subject, design your vision for the logo. We will showcase the designer with the best work and award a prize to the winner. You retain the rights. This is a celebration of the designer with the best work.

To read about some of the changes we’ve made to our contest based on the concerns of the community and to ensure we’re not condoning unpaid spec work, see our full response here: http://www.moleskinerie.com/2011/10/dear-moleskinerie.html

Together with Designboom, a leading online design magazine, we have organized a contest to select the new Moleskinerie logo.

Today, in fact, you have the opportunity to create the next logo of Moleskinerie, our offial blog dedicated to you and your passions for Moleskine notebooks.

How? It’s simple!

• The deadline for submitting your entries is November 10th
  • A shortlist of the 100-150 best designs, chosen by a jury to be selected in the coming weeks, will be published at the end of November
  •  The winner will be announced in early December

Visit the Designboom website to learn more…and to find out the amazing prize you can win!

UPDATE

We would like to inform you that some terms of the contest have changed.

In particular the point #10, regarding the intellectual property rights of the participants: considering that these conducted to a misleading perception, a part from the winner who will get the final prize, Moleskine will retain no rights on any other entry.

This entry was posted in Announcement from Moleskine, Community, CONTEST. Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Create the logo of Moleskinerie!

1. Pingback: Moleskine | Concursos de Arte - O portal dos concursos de arte por todo o Mundo!

2. Pingback: コンテスト:Moleskinerie.comのロゴをつくろう! | Moleskinerie

3. Pingback: Another cool design competition: Moleskinerie Logo Competition « academiaflag2011

4. Sharlene says:

For a company with such a loyalty with designers, it’s disgusting that you would crowdsource a logo no different than any other lowlife spec-house.

It’s deplorable.

I’d post links, but you’d have to be completely detached from design in any relevant way to lack exposure to how harmful this is to the design community.

5. Rob Loukotka says:

Hey Moleskin:

A huge part of your popularity comes from artists and designers. You asking for a free logo is going to greatly upset the community. You’re sort of asking for a backlash here. And now thousands of people will start buying Field Notes instead of Moleskins. For real.

I don’t really care either way, to each his own. But there’s a huge ‘No Spec’ movement you’re probably not aware of, and I can see this contest blowing up in your face. You’ve been warned.

Just hire a designer to make the logo. It’s a blog, and you’re an established company. Asking for free work will get you more negative publicity than positive.

Good luck,
    –Rob Loukotka

6. Hello Rob and Sharlene,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Since the nature of Moleskinerie has always been participative, made up of passionate contributions and voluntary submissions, we decided to let the community participate again in creating the new logo of the blog.

We decided to collaborate with Designboom to do so, a leading online design magazine, which is well aware of how to run a contest of this kind.
    If you had spent some time on the “Competitions” area of Designboom website, you certainly have seen that other Brands are running and previously decided to run similar contests, with the same regulation of our with great participation as well as amazing results.

That said, being a contest, there’s a final price for the winner, but all the submissions are free, as well you are free not to taking part to it.

Best regards,
    Andrea

7. Ana Mourão says:

Hello,

as a freelance designer I do not see the problem of this contest. I think it is a great opportunity for independent, younger designers or smaller companies to try and show their work and ideas to a well known brand as Moleskine, instead of hiring always the big design companies. This will give to the winner the chance to have a new logo on his portfolio and to promote is work internationally.
    And the prize is really useful in this time of crisis!
    Thank you Moleskine to give us this opportunity!

Best regards,
    Ana Mourão

8. Rob Sollom says:

Please stop asking people to design for free. It’s offensive.

9. Justin Newhouse says:
  10. Dianne Semark says:

@Sharlene

Shame on Moleskin.

11. pedro says:

i like this competition idea. i’m also on the run for the grand prize and public exposure

haters gonna hate

12. Henric says:

WOW. The fact that you haven’t already realized your mistake, apologized, and pulled the competition is beyond me. Instead we get an “explanation”.

Offensive is the right word. No more money from me.

13. Jay Carlson says:

Dear Moleskine, I want free molskines please. it’s a contest. you send me your best moleskine for free, and I decided if I like it. if I do, I’ll give you a cool prize. if not, too bad. you did all that work, spent all that time, used your talents, for nothing.

sounds great, huh?

can’t wait to get my free moleskine!

14. James Provost says:

If YOU had spent some time getting to know your customers, you certainly have seen that they are designers and artists and writers who take what they do seriously, and buy your product because they thought you took what you do seriously.

Pull the contest, apologize profusely, figure out what your brand is all about and pay a designer what they’re worth to express that.

15. Kerry Moran says:

This is just plain wrong on so many levels

16. Karl Noelle says:

I totally get that the “nature of Moleskinerie has always been participative, made up of passionate contributions and voluntary submissions.”

Great! Continue to be that way and publish people’s sketches on your blog & website.

When you bring money into it, and when you’re asking for YOUR OWN logo (as opposed to a themed contest of sorts), it’s different.

I can see how start-ups can maybe benefit from such a contest, but when you’re as established as yourselves, there isn’t an excuse for screwing thousands of designers (DESIGNERS — not designs) out of their hard work and picking a sole winner.

Come on, Moleskine. I love your products.

17. Tom says:

Nospec … no moleskin. Time to move on to another product. You guys are clueless.

18. Andrea (aka Moleskine Staff),
    Your reply sounds rather snarky. The post is here on Moleskinerie, not Designboom so to say that folks should know how Designboom runs contests is rather absurd.

Sorry that you feel so strongly this was the right move for this new branding. A perfectly wonderful way to have done this would be create an RFP and ask designers to submit proposals instead of actual designs.

Its just really sad to see this coming from such a great company like Moleskine because a marketing person couldn’t come up with a better way to engage their community.

Best of luck but I’m now moving over to Scout Books instead.

19. Bobby says:

Staff (Andrea):

Did you actually just use the “everyone else is doing it” rationale?

Bobby

20. Matt says:

As a professional artist and designer I have always held a lot of respect toward the Moleskine brand, and the quality products you have produced. As the digital art industry grows there is becoming less and less of a need for physical paper tools. Your notebooks have remained one of the few physical art supplies many modern creatives still use. Unfortunately this ill-timed and ignorant contest will defiantly offend numerous creatives and loyal customers. I’m not sure how much money you are hoping to save with this branding contest for your blog, but I’m sure financially your losses will be significantly greater. Whats surprising is you recently surely have become aware of the negative effects this contest will have on your longterm band appeal with many customer, yet you have brushed away that feedback and have chosen to continue. I realize the identity of your blog may not be a high priority, but thats even more reason to avoid damaging consumer relationships and longterm brand integrity over such a matter. I strongly encourage you to rethink this gimmick. By correcting this wrong you have a chance to show you value your customers feedback and the design community’s contributions in general.

21. Sharlene says:

Staff Moleskine :
    Hello Rob and Sharlene,
    Thanks for your feedbacks.
    Best regards,
    Andrea

You’re right. We’re free not to participate and people are free to submit their ideas. There are also others who use the same practice. I named a few myself.

I’m also wrong in assuming you understand the cultural repercussions and how crowdsourcing is viewed by the creative company.

Animal testing isn’t illegal, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a company that proudly parades that they test on animals because many view that as morally offensive.

McDonald’s practices it’s business within the law and has been making fast food longer than Design Boom has been in business. They sure know how to feed people, but neither McDonald’s nor Design Boom could be held as examples of stewardship to their respective industries.

Design Boom runs other contests? That doesn’t change whether or not their practices are ethical.

Smoking is also 100% legal, but I wouldn’t call a single tobacco company as ethical.

You’re getting free work. Call it what it is and stop pretending that it’s something else. You’re a company that should have a great relationship with the creative community and respect us as professionals, but you don’t and should just admit to that rather than hide behind the “other people do it” excuse.

As I’ve said, I’m sure you’ll get great entries and be able to select a fantastic logo, but I’m also positive many designers will be satisfied with other notebook producers like the design-founded Field Notes or Whitelines.

Whether you agree with me or not won’t stop people from switching brands because we collectively view this as unethical. From a marketing standpoint, it’s masochistic at best.

Thanks for “listening”.

22. Arlo says:

@Ana Mourão

If you don’t believe your time is valuable, then your clients won’t believe your time is valuable, either.

Good luck in your career.

23. Jillian Adel says:

Ditto @jay carlson. I want a free moleskine too! I benefit from free supplies all the time cause I’m a designer and companies want me to use their stuff on my projects. It’s great exposure for them.

Please send me a box of free moleskines. Warning: I might not like your stuff as much as the other free supplies I get and in that case, you will not be paid. Ok, thanks!

24. Yaaay Fieldnotes! By designers for designers!

25. Joseph Szala says:

@Ana Mourão
    How do you think “this time of crisis” has happened? By devaluing the profession and asking for free work. Sure, seems harmless until you start trying to get paid for design work. Then you hear arguments like “Well, other companies did it this way.” You get to spend all your valuable time and ideas only to HOPE for payment. Is that where you’d like this profession to be?

Moleskine, you have no idea how much you’ve slighted your biggest supporters. Your reply adds salt to the wound. You’re a case study for exactly what not to do.

26. atmawarin says:

Participation are sugar coating word for exploitation.

27. Lucy says:

The argument that you’re for keeping in the participatory spirit of the website is absolutely deplorable. The participation aspect of the site comes across in Moleskine users showcasing their use and love of the products.

To decide that you’re going to try and leech off this rather than paying for quality logo design like any company centered around well-designed products damn well should be doing…it’s cheap, backwards and shows a complete lack of respect to designers who are fighting tooth and nail to stay afloat in this recession.

Want to help the design community? Hire a fabulous team of young designers, pay them well, and let your company be their stepping stone into success. Or just pay the right price for a logo. To your company, $7,000 is child’s play and frankly it’s downright insulting.

28. Dan says:

@Jay Carlson
    Great competition, can’t wait to see who “wins”

@Sharlene
    Thanks for the tip on Field Notes, Behance are also doing some great books.

@Staff Moleskine
    FAIL

29. anonymous says:

It doesn’t value the work of designers! And moleskine out of all companies should value the work of designers- since so many designers use moleskines.

Moleskine’s statement also sounds very defensive and unapologetic. They have refused to change anything despite a large negative reaction from the design community. Sort it out!

30. Miles harrison says:

Yeah, well just because DesignBoom is doing it doesn’t make it right. DesignBoom is obviously a bigger part of the problem. I for one will now be buying FieldNotes instead.
    If you want to collaborate, collaborate with a designer you think will do your brand justice and pay for their time.
    Hey, why don’t you send me a few boxes of your product and I’ll pay you if I like it?

31. Joachim says:

As a long time Moleskine user and having been featured in this blog I’m appaled at this contest, it’s demeaning for the design profession.

And the saddest thing is that patronizing reaction to the public outcry…

32. Frank Diekman says:

Fuck you. Pay me.

33. Seth Scott says:

The next time I go into a market maybe I’ll take a sip of all the beverages and then only pay for the one I like most.

You gets no more love from me, ever.

34. Pingback: Moleskine competition to create the new Moleskinerie logo | Love Moleskines

35. Anna says:

Dear Moleskin,
    I’m not a professional designer. But I am truly offended by this patronizing view of your customer base. Good luck (not really!) with your PR in this affair.

36. Pingback: Crowdsourcing bridges | DogWalkBlog

37. Phil Willis says:

@Jay Carlson

Yes please. Send me a box of moleskines too please. If I like them, I’ll give you USD$7000.

If not, I’ll just put them with the other losers.

Also – my lawn needs mowing. Can you pop around and do that for free as well?

I don’t have a lot of time for mowing lawns, seeing as how I’m really busy GETTING PAID BY REAL CLIENTS.

38. Pingback: Notebook Stories: A Blog About Notebooks, Journals, Moleskines, Blank Books, Sketchbooks, Diaries and More

39. ashleyw says:

@Ana Mourão

It’s guaranteed that the losers of this contest will have wasted their time designing something that will not be used or compensated for. I hate to see independent, young designers waste their time in a bad economy.

40. Blake Rice says:

Moleskin crowdsourcing??? Say it aint so… You are slapping every graphic artist in his/her face with this “contest.” Maybe Field Notes knows the difference between right and wrong.

41. Col says:

First Moleskine quality goes haywire … then you introduce all manner of overpriced lifestyle accessories … and now this, you are begging for freebie designs.
    As you have clearly lost the way, you have also lost this loyal UK customer. From here on in it is Rhodia dot webbies for me. Why don’t you acquire some and see what a class notebook looks like. Oh yes, they already have a trademark too and it is working.
    With regret and anger in more or less equal measures and apologies to everyone that I ever recommended Moleskine to. Sorry.
    Col

42. Lee Boyce says:

So, the way I see it. You get thousands upon thousands of free pitches, many hits on your site, you’ll sell a ton of books off the back of the competitions exposure — designboom dramatically expand their mailing list, a ton of hits on their website and the 99% of the entrants get…?

These ‘competitions’ degrade the design industry. Put together a brief, pay a talented agency to do the work and get results with longevity and quality. Surely that process is perfectly inline with the Moleskine brand; certainly more so than dipping into a barrel of entries.

Alternatively, make the competition more interesting than ‘give us your ideas, you might get something our of it’. Let’s see the entrants process in creating their work — think about it — seeing the entries start on a blank Moleskine page, sketching their preliminary ideas, refinement and finally, presenting the final product. That would complement and celebrate the creativity, the use of Moleskine within creative industries and of course, demonstrate you have a morsel of interest in the people dedicating time to contribute their skills to your company.

Yes, that might require more work at your end — but it could pay off — I would certainly but a Moleskine with a selection of the best entries printed throughout.

43. Lee Boyce says:

Apologies, a wee spelling mistake:

* I would certainly buy a Moleskine with a selection of the best entries printed throughout.

44. josh says:

+1 for Jay.

What good is a new logo?

Your online community has suffered a long, slow, agonizing death the past few years. Flickr? Ghost town. Moleskinerie? Ah, lame author’s being featured and few comments. This blog is boring. Sorry, but it is. It used to feature critique as well as commentary, new product announcements, discussion posts from users on Flickr/etc., unique Moleskine users, etc. Now, it’s just an obligatory, occasional feature of some unknown user and- even less frequently- an announcement of a new product. Ghost town. Google Groups? Ghost Town. Yes, I know… not all social sites are your official corporate tool. But, your dedicated community has been dwindling for a few years, and I have to wonder when the ‘Moleskine notebook trend” of the masses will wear off and you’ll be left with…. an even smaller dedicated community.

45. josh says:

Oh, and instead of letting your community talk, Moleskinerie.com now moderates comments.

46. josh says:

Moleskine logo contest dubbed ‘Molescheme’ by angry designers

47. josh says:

I should say…

I have no problem with competitions. Yes, I think prizes should be given. And, yes, you have to know your target market. If you want your target market to respect you, you can’t ask them to design for you.

The problem that most people have with this- aside from it being a free competition at first, was the tone of the reply on your official Facebook page. And, you asked for full logos, not spec work. If the competition was to design something for a good cause Moleskine is participating in, you would get plenty of positive interest.

Yes, I’ll still buy Moleskine products.

No, I don’t feel like there’s much of a Moleskine/Moleskinerie online community left… at all.

I actually STILL SEE the great potential in the Moleskinerie community. It needs user support and engagement. It needs interesting content. It needs to be an open platform. Either allow comments, or don’t– deleting comments is bad PR. Find some of the old Moleskinerie Flickr members and ask for their insight into why the online community has dwindled over the past few years. It was extremely active in 2006/7, and has faded ever since.